09 February 2010

HUSKY BURNETTE

left to right: Burma Shave, Husky Burnette

Hailing from Chattanooga, Tennessee ( home of the National Tow Truck Museum) Husky Burnette accompanied by drummer Burma Shave brings a rough, shambolic yet fist-tight blues that stomps, honks and grinds it out. My ol' neighbor lady'd say "That's Nasty!" 
She'd be so right. Husky and Burma rock it like a beast and that's how we like it, baby. Hunched, sweatin', swaggerin' and all up on ya. Think of a hair more trad early Black Diamond Heavies (also once a Chattanooga band) when Mark "Porkchop" Holder still played guitar with them, or a grunge R.L. 

Husky is lettin' loose a new live disc sometime this year (we'll hope for sooner than later) as well as a studio release (rumored to include an appearance by a top-secret-super-special-guest. I can't tell you a thing about it cuz Husky'd hafta kill me. Think of the children). I thought you might like to get to know Husky Burnette a bit better being as y'all will be hearing a lot more from each other soon so I asked him a few of the basic Q's:

When did you start playing guitar? Play anything else?

I started seriously playing guitar at age 12. I mess around with piano but can't play anything but chords.

How'd you and Burma meet and start playing together?

We both live in/around Chattanooga and have played in bands based in North Georgia/Chattanooga. He played with a damn good road band called The Tennessee Rounders and then Bathtub Gin, so by us being in bands around here we knew each other from the "scene" basically. after pursuing the "solo artist" thing, I had been through 3 different drummers and I took a much needed break from traveling so much. during that time I parted ways with the last drummer, called Dave up, he wasn't playing and was more than stoked to do it. We quickly found how how well we click and mesh. Now life and drummer status is great. He makes me sound good!

What'd ya do before playing more or less solo?

Before the solo thing I played lead guitar for singer/songwriter Roger Alan Wade for about 2.5 years (fantastic songwriter!! check him out if you haven't). After that I helped start the band Polecat Boogie Revival (guys from the band Hellstomper). Gained some status, toured a lot, recorded an EP and a couple good singles, then it played out. After parting with them I pursued the solo deal, tired of "almost" getting something done. Got the 'if you want something done right, do it yourself' attitude. Now here I am.

Influences? 
Tons. Here's a few: Howlin' Wolf, Muddy Waters, Willie Dixon, Furry Lewis, Johnny Cash, Jerry Lee Lewis, R.L. Burnside, Lee Michaels, my family: Johnny Burnette, Dorsey Burnette and Tim Burnette, Tom Waits, Son House, Jr Walker, Jimmy Reed, Townes Van Zandt, Guy Clark, Hound Dog Taylor, Hendrix/Band of Gypsys, Legendary Shack Shakers, Jesus Lizard, Cramps, The Gories. 
fyi: Husky is related to Rocky and Billy Burnette, too.

 
Husky Burnette @ MySpace 
Husky Burnette @ Facebook 

Husky Burnette - Shake That Thang - MP3
Husky Burnette - Highway 41 - MP3
Husky Burnette - Walking Blues - MP3



No comments: