02 October 2011

R. CRUMB's Heroes Of The Blues

ViA Metafilter

R. Crumb's Heroes of the Blues

In the 1980s, R. Crumb produced a set of trading cards called The Heroes of the Blues.

William Moore --
Raggin' the Blues

Peg Leg Howell
-- New Jelly Roll Blues

Clifford Gibson
-- Blues Without a Dime

Blind Blake
-- West Coast Blues

Frank Stokes
-- I Got Mine

Jaybird Coleman -- I'm Gonna Cross The River of Jordan Some O' These Days

Blind Willie Johnson -- Dark Was the Night

Leroy Carr & Scrapper Blackwell -- When The Sun Goes Down

Blind Lemon Jefferson -- See That My Grave Is Kept Clean

Curley Weaver & Fred McMullen -- Wild Cat Kitten

Whistler & His Jug Band -- Foldin' Bed

The Mississippi Sheiks -- He Calls That Religion

Rube Lacey -- Mississippi Jailhouse Groan

Skip James -- Hard Time Killin' Floor Blues

Bo-Weavil Jackson -- I'm On My Way To The Kingdom Land

Furry Lewis -- Judge Harsh Blues

Sam Collins -- My Road is Rough and Rocky

Ramblin' Thomas
-- No Job Blues

Sleepy John Estes -- Someday Baby Blues

Cannon's Jug Stompers -- Minglewood Blues

Memphis Jug Band -- Coal Oil Blues

Big Bill Broonzy -- Worried Man Blues, Hey Hey, How You Want it Done

Roosevelt Sykes -- .44 Blues

Blind Gary Davis -- Death Don't Have No Mercy

Papa Charlie Jackson -- I'm Alabama Bound

Charley Patton -- High Water Everywhere, Part 1 & High Water Everywhere, Part 2

Buddy Boy Hawkins -- Awful Fix Blues

Barbeque Bob -- Mississippi Heavy Water Blues

Ed Bell -- Leaving Train Blues

Blind Willie McTell -- Broke Down Engine

Son House -- Death Letter Blues

Memphis Minnie -- If You See My Rooster (Please Run Him Home)

Mississippi John Hurt -- Stack O' Lee Blues

Tommy Johnson -- Cool Drink of Water Blues

Peetie Wheatstraw -- Four O'Clock in the Morning

Bo Carter -- My Baby

2 comments:

Tim said...

Great stuff, Rick. I remember when these first came out. Thanks for sharing... Now you'll need to post some footage from the doc Crumb, which I watched with my mom down in St. A (a surreal experience)!

Joe non Papa said...

Crumb also made a card set called "Pioneers of Country Music." He also made one of early jazz musicians.