21 May 2012

OTHAR TURNER and THE RiSiNG STAR FiFE and DRUM BAND - Shot by Lomax -1978

"We gonna play some drum, we gonna have some fun. Everybody gonna relax, you know what I mean? We gonna treat people right, they come there right they gonna end up right. That's the fun we have. It's our pleasure." 
-Mr. Othar Turner











Othar Turner's Rising Star Fife & Drum band (Turner, fife; G.D. Young, bass drum; E.P. Burton, snare; Eddie Ware, snare) play "the call" to picnic night at Othar's farm. Shot by Alan Lomax, John Bishop, and Worth Long in Gravel Springs, Mississippi, August 1978.


1 comment:

Steel Drum Band said...

I thought I only knew Mr. Turner's music from his work with The North Mississippi Allstars and having heard him on public radio a couple of times. I did not know that he was the leader of the Rising Star Fife and Drum Band. I saw that band at a university concert in 1975. They were great.